Cover by Greg Horn.
For those who read the first issue you were left with a lot of questions. Who's the Judge? How's he killing these guys? What happened to Kat's fish? We asked Bill Rosemann that very question and he shared with us a look at the first four pages of issue #2 of Deadline. Below you'll find the full script plus colored artwork by Guy Davis. Read the script and click each image for a close-up look at each page.
chasing a killer story can be hazardous to your health
Script for issue #2
1. Judge: Come with me. I need you.
2. title: DEADLINE chapter 2
3. credits: Bill Rosemann - Writer
Guy Davis - Artist
4. credits: Dave Stewart - Colorist
Dave Sharpe - Letterer
5. credits: Marc Sumerak & Jeff Youngquist - Assistant Editors
Tom Brevoort - Editor
6. credits: Joe Quesada - Editor in Chief
Bill Jemas - President
1. Kat: Yaaah!!
2. caption: Great. Dreaming about work.
3. caption: The first sign that your job is taking over your life.
4. caption: 'Course in my case, work involves hunting a vigilante who may or
may not be a ghost.
5. caption: Ahh... who am I kidding. That's why I came to New York, right?
The whole "Katherine Farrell: mild mannered reporter for a major
metropolitan newspaper" thing?
6. caption: So what was it that got me hooked on ink?
7. caption: That photojournalist that came to Career Day in the 5th grade?
Catching "His Girl Friday" on midnight cable?
8. caption: Anyway, I don't know what's more weird: the fact that I'm
dreaming about The Judge...
9. caption: ...or that someone stole my fish.
1. caption: Have to talk to the cops about that later. Right now my Muse
2. caption: The Daily Bugle. Voice of the people. Seeker of Truth... not to
mention a flashy headline.
3. caption: It's also my dream job -- that is, it will be once I ditch my
beat covering the superpowered primadonnas that prance around the Big Apple.
4. Robbie Robertson: Mornin', Kat. Almost done with that piece on the
5. Kat: It'll be on your desk with your pastrami at lunch, Chief!
6. caption: Because, you know, it'll be soooo exciting to write about how
some Capes made the 6 train run late for the bajillionth time this month.
7. caption: All right, today's to-do list: pay the cable bill, get my
8. caption: ...oh yeah, and figure out who murdered Judge Michael Hart's
wife -- and then turned him into a super-villain serial killer.
9. Paul Swanson: Well, if it isn't Kat Farrell, the Human Torch's #1 fan!
10. Kat: Didn't you get the e-mail, Swanson? No smoking in the pressroom!
11. Swanson: Hey, this is Italian, you know.
12. caption: That's right, worry about your cheesy suit while I snag the
story that you're too lazy to figure out.
1. caption: And just when I think I can't take the office jerks like Paul
Swanson for another second, I get the heck outta Dodge and tool around on my
pride and joy.
2. caption: Vespa Scooter: accept no substitute.
3. caption: See, you gotta remember that the story is never in your cubicle.
Every second you're reading e-mail, you're not talking to sources.
4. caption: You want to post on chat boards? Be a desk jockey.
5. caption: You want to be a reporter? Hit the freakin' streets.
6. caption: And if you happen to be a reporter covering the Capes, you gotta
know which streets -- be they up in Harlem or down here in Chinatown -- to
7. caption: Because those who hide behind masks aren't exactly the most open
8. caption: Take Dr. Pow, for instance.
9. Kat: Yo, Eightball!
10. Eightball: Password?
11. Kat: I got your password right here.
12. Eightball: Yeah, girl! Where'd you score one?
13. Kat: It's a big town, Eightball. You can get whatever you want if you
know where to look.
"Deadline #2" hits store shelves May 1st.