Official Press Release
The Hero Initiative announced today its plans for New York Comic Con, taking place at the Jacob K. Javits Center from Feb 6-8 in New York City.
The night before the show begins, the organizers of New York Comic Con are throwing a Pre-Con party at Dave & Buster’s Times Square (234 West 42nd St., New York, NY 10036), from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., on February 5, 2009. Admission is free and open to attendees, creators, exhibitors and staff, but for a donation of $10, guests will receive five raffle tickets for a chance to win some amazing prizes. All proceeds collected from the raffle will benefit The Hero Initiative. Winning numbers will be announced at the end of the party and winners must be present to win. Raffle prizes to date include:
• Official New York Comic Con VIP Ticket - Signed by Neal Adams
• Official New York Comic Con 2009 Show Poster - Framed & Signed by Neal Adams
• Back to the Future Flux Capacitor Unlimited Edition
• Emissary Poster - Signed by the complete cast of Emissary
• Marvel Then-and-Now DVD - Signed by Stan Lee & Joe Quesada
• The Book: Marvel Visionaries: John Romita Jr. - Signed by John Romita Jr.
• 12-inch Indiana Jones
• 12-inch RAH Red Clone Trooper
• $25 Visa Gift Card
• Two $25 Midtown Comics Gift Cards
When the show starts, The Hero Initiative can be found at Booth #1865. Fans can stop by to make donations, purchase exclusive signed items, sign up for memberships and get their items signed by some of their favorite creators. Scheduled to appear at The Hero Initiative Booth during the weekend are (all times Eastern):
FRIDAY, February 6, 2009
- 10 – 11 a.m. Leinil Francis Yu
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. George Pérez
- 1 – 2 p.m. Leonard Kirk
- 4 – 6 p.m. George Pérez
SATURDAY, February 7, 2009
- 10 – 11 a.m. George Pérez
- 12 – 1 p.m. Tom DeFalco
- 1 – 1:45 p.m. Matt Fraction
- 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. George Pérez at Art Auction, Room 1A14
SUNDAY, February 8, 2009
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. George Pérez
- 12 – 1 p.m. Leonard Kirk
- 1 – 2 p.m. Tom DeFalco
- 3 – 4 p.m. George Pérez
In addition, fans can attend The Hero Initiative Art Auction on Saturday evening, February 7, at 6:30 p.m. ET in Room 1A14 to bid on original pieces of art donated by some of the biggest names in the comic book industry, including works by Joe Quesada, George Pérez, Darwyn Cooke, Jae Lee, John Romita Sr. and Jr., Steve Rude, Jim Starlin, Walter Simonson, Joe Madureira, and all the Image Comics founders. A total of 128 lots are available in the event, divided into two main categories: a live auction and a silent auction.
For additional details on the New York Comic Con Art Auction, visit heroinitiative.org/NewsDetail.asp?NewsId=175.
The Hero Initiative creates a monetary safety net for yesterday’s creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life and an avenue back into paying work. It’s a chance for fans to give something back to the people who have given them so much enjoyment. For more information, visit www.heroinitiative.org or call 818-997-6114.
New York Comic Con will take place February 6-8, 2009 at the Jacob K. Javits Center in New York City. Tickets are on sale at www.nycomiccon.com.