Official Press Release
Hailed in the press and by reviewers everywhere as an “instant classic” and the perfect gift for any reader this holiday season, RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN has sold out its initial run of 10,000 copies at the distributor level within the first 24 hours of being on sale.
Created by Jim McCann and Janet Lee and published by Archaia, this modern fairytale has been gaining buzz for months based on its breathtaking art and unique yet timeless story. Already on many Holiday Gift Guides, including Publishers Weekly and The New York Times, Archaia is rushing a second printing to meet the incredible demand and ensure that RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN will be available through booksellers everywhere during this holiday season.
“Reaction to the book has been just incredible, to say the very least,” says writer Jim McCann. “Janet and I are absolutely blown away and extremely humbled by the outpouring of support.”
The overwhelmingly glowing reviews for RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN have certainly helped to drive interest.
· “Some of the writing is lyrical and reads like a forgotten fairy tale…The artwork is often stunning, with a texture and depth.” – New York Times (2010 Holiday Gift Guide)
· “It’s an instant classic, combining steampunk, science fiction and fantasy with an impeccable fashion sense.” – USA Today
· “This book is everything the hype promised it would be…a mind-opening, eye-shutting book that sings to your dreams and dreams of your songs.” – Comic Book Resources (CBR)
· “Return of the Dapper Men is something extraordinary, something that makes that little light inside of each and every one of us burn brighter…Jim McCann and Janet Lee set off fireworks…can be compared to many children’s fantasy tales but is utterly unique in each and every aspect.” – Newsarama
· “Beautifully packaged title…It may be the first steampunk fairytale I’ve ever read, and hopefully it won’t be the last…gorgeously illustrated story.” – USA Today Pop Candy
· “I have never had the privilege of seeing a classic being made from the ground up. That is, until now…This is a story that dares to challenge the reader to dream and follow a different path…These pages can’t be duplicated and each one is a bona fide work of art.” – Ain’t It Cool News
While RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN is currently sold out at the distributor level, there is at least one week’s worth of copies available at local and online retailers wherever books are sold. Be sure to pick up or order your copy today!
A visual tour de force, RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN (hardcover, full color, 128 pages, 9.5” x 11”, $24.95), is the debut graphic novel from the minds of award-winning writer Jim McCann (Hawkeye & Mockingbird) and critically acclaimed gallery artist Janet Lee. A modern twist on classic fairytales, this is a story about growing up, childhood fears and examining the origins of a world and the things that inhabit it. The incredible decoupage art style combines steampunk fantasy and science fiction with Art Nouveau for a truly unique and groundbreaking book, all sharply dressed in a pinstripe suit and a dapper bowler hat. The book also features a Foreword written by the original Dapper Man, Tim Gunn (“Project Runway”), and a collection of pin-ups featuring works by Adrian Alphona and Christina Strain, Joyce Chin, John Tyler Christopher, Katie Cook, Colleen Coover, David Mack, Dave Perillo, Mike Perkins, Evan Shaner, Mark Smylie, Tom Whalen and Skottie Young. RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN is available now wherever are books are sold. To order a copy, use ISBN code 978-1932386905.