Official Press Release
The first annual Asbury Park Comic Con will kick off on Saturday, May 12, 2012. The one day mini-convention will be held in the intimate setting of the Asbury Lanes, a small bowling alley / rock club at the Jersey Shore one block from the historic Asbury Park boardwalk.
Asbury Park Comic Con will feature a wide variety of comic book & pop culture purveyors as well as many comic book creators, artists and illustrators from the New York and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. Comic fans will have a rare opportunity to meet the artists, who will be available to sign books that will be sold at each artist’s table. Commissioned sketches are also available from many of the artists for a fee.
Special guest include:
- Eisner Award winner Evan Dorkin (creator of Milk & Cheese, co-creator of Beasts of Burden, writer for Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Shin Chan,)
- Sarah Dyer (creator of Action Girl, writer for such television shows as Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Shin Chan, Superman, and Batman Beyond)
- Michael Kupperman (creator of Tales Designed to Thrizzle and Mark Twain’s Autobiography 1910-2010)
- Jamal Igle (Super Girl, The Ray, Green Lantern Corps, and many other DC and Marvel books)
- Danny Hellman (cartoonist for New York Press, Time, Sports Illustrated, Screw, Village Voice, and many others)
- Steve Mannion (creator of Fearless Dawn published by Asylum Press)
- Walt Flanagan artist on Batman: Cacophony and Batman: The Widening Gyre,(written by director Kevin Smith), The War of the Undead (written by Bryan Johnson, co-host of the podast “Tell ‘Em Steve-Dave!” and actor in Clerks I & II, Mall Rats, and Dogma.
- Mike & Ming of the AMC television show Comic Book Men. The pair from Secret Stash and the podcast “I Sell Comics will be doing a live podcast from the Asbury Comic Con.
The event features a unique location for a gathering of the comics community. The Asbury Lanes is a second home to punk rockers, hot rodders, artists, and bowlers. Built in 1963, the Lanes is like a time machine to a bygone era of low-brow bowling heaven and rock’n’roll refuge. The venue has hosted music legends and cult heroes such as Dick Dale, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Reverend Horton Heat, Mick Jones of The Clash, The Supersuckers, The Butthole Surfers, Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys, The Gaslight Anthem, Murphy’s Law and Bouncing Souls.
The Asbury Lanes is located one block from the revitalized boardwalk which features a great mix of restaurants, bars, shops, and galleries.
The Asbury Park Comic Con was conceived by Cliff Galbraith, a comic creator and veteran of most major and many minor comic cons and festivals. Cliff brings an exhibitor’s and comic artist’s perspective to organizing a comic convention and intends to place the emphasis more on the artists and writers whose work actually makes the comic conventions possible.
The Asbury Park Comic Con will be held:
Saturday May 12, 2012
11 AM to 6 PM
209 4th Avenue
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
Admission is free, but it is advised to visit www.AsburyparkComicon.com to reserve tickets to ensure entry in the event of high turnout.